With the auger out, we resorted to renting a 2 man auger for the weekend. It was a very exhausting day. We found limestone, clay, and roots. Not the best things to deal with. Of course we were blessed in other areas where the auger just flew right through the dirt. Best news of all, most of elements that needed holes dug were complete.
With some poles for us to begin using, we were excited to head to Camp Barnhardt again. Today was the day to have Mehi level some ground for us and dig some holes with the auger. While that was going on, we were able to blow the leaves off the trail and manually level some ground. Unfortunately the day came to a hault when the auger needed some work. A few holes were able to be dug before that. We’re still happy that we got some things done for the day.
We were starting to get a little worried on the poles. Poles are still being promised to us, but its going to be many weeks before delivery. Fortunately we found someone that had most of the smaller poles. Even better was the fact that they gave them to us. About 15 poles are now at camp. Thank you very much!
Another great day at Camp Barnhardt. Its always great to have friends willing to come out and help for a good cause. The goal for the day was to start establishing the trails and make pathways big enough for tractor to come down. We quickly got to work on the largest trees. Then we teamed up moving down the trail clearing just what was needed. Rain came in during the afternoon. Fortunately we had plenty of time to clear the trail, mark the trails better, and make all pathways.
All forms filed and ready to do our fundraiser. Our first goal was to sell 25 dozen donuts along with some drinks at the merit badge mania. We were excited to speak with everyone to let them know of our low COPE project. There were plenty of youth and adults to enjoy the great taste of some Krispy Kreme donuts. By the beginning of lunch we were all sold out. We thank everyone at the event for an enjoyable experience as well as the assistance towards raising the funds for the project.
Late last year, we pitched an idea to Central NC Council for building a new low COPE course down by the handicraft shelter. The project involved raising the funds, purchasing the materials, and building the course. We staked out the area, drew up some plans, and presented it to the committee. Thankfully the project was approved. Starting in February, we were approved to do some fundraisers which enables us to begin the project.